Tethered Toaster

Tethered Toaster

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Exploring the NC Coast

For the 4th of July weekend I visited my friend Sarah and some of her friends in Avon, NC on the outer banks. I really enjoyed the ocean and beach there and definitely want to come back. The journey started out with a 1 hour 45 minute drive from New Bern to my first ferry of the day. The Cherry Island ferry leaves at 7 but if you reserved a spot you had to arrive at least 30 minutes before. I had a spectacular sunrise to greet me on my way. The ferry ride was 2 hours and 15 minutes across to get to Ocracoke.

Selfie from the Ferry
Ocracoke Ferry
I took several hours to explore Ocracoke as recommended. Ocracoke is a small island. I recommend parking at the parking lot by the ferry (arrival) and walking. You can rent a golf cart or bike if you prefer. The town has lots of small shops, galleries and piers. You can take a walk to see the light house (not open to public inside, except on 4th of July) and enjoy a bite to eat. They even have a Blackbeard exhibit there!
Lighthouse on Ocracoke

I enjoyed a bite to eat at Howard's Pub and then walked back in the rain to get my truck and drive to the beach. If you have a 4x4 and a permit you can even drive on the beach. The water was soft and the perfect temp. I donned my rain jacket and enjoyed the beach all to myself! This time in Ocracoke was 'chicken soup to the soul' for me!
It's just rain! I think I enjoyed the beach during the rain more than I would have with sun!

Toes in the water!

 Next I made my way onto my second ferry to Hattaras, 60 minute ride! Once there I made my way to Sarah's friend's trailer on Avon. We enjoyed 2.5 days on the beach just relaxing, swimming and hanging out.
Relaxing on the beach!

On my way back from the weekend, I got to see a 'ferry' float and visit the historic and quaint town of Beaufort.
This loaded up in Hattaras on its way to Ocracoke. Super cute!

Cute town of Beaufort.

Beaufort has a great walkway on the water. Came up in an article I read as one of the great beaches to visit.

Took the article I read suggestion and visited the 300 year old burying ground.

Burying ground.








No comments:

Post a Comment